Monday, January 22, 2007

BBQed onion springs and Tux evangelism

Last Saturday I could not attend an interesting meeting in Barcelona for the startup of a new organization which has the goal of compensating the increasing privative software lobbing over our autonomous government in Catalonia. I was not able to go because I scheduled for the same day, a typical Catalan BBQ like event, a Calçotada. Anyway I still used that other event to promote Tux cause ;-)

Why? Because my Linux laptop was the jukebox for the event. As result I got some of my friends using Amarok to choose the music they wanted and they liked much the program. Even those that declared themselves completely newbies with computers managed to get some of their music playing. I also activated Beryl which impressed them a lot.

Free CD's to Mario's Pub, chatting about cool linux features... Anything as effective as seeing it running and managing it. When I told them that that was Linux they all said comfortable comments such 'so, it is not as difficult as people says' and 'it's like windows but cooler!'.

Some of my friends asked me to install Kubuntu on his desktop computer. I told one of them to do it yesterday but, sincerely we were too hangover. I must say there were more things in there than Linux evangelism. And pretty funny ones.

No comments: